Friday, October 2, 2015

Share Ideas & Opinions: MackinVIA




MackinVIA is a great free tool for schools that already purchase eBooks through the Mackin platform. Through the VIA platform, all Mackin eBook products that have previously been purchased (approximately $30-$50 per book) are available in a single, customizable place, easily accessible by students and teachers alike. Furthermore, most eBooks have multi-user licenses, so an entire classroom could open the same book independently. Best of all, the eBooks are categorized based on classification, and teachers can create their own groups of documents for students to focus on.

  

 
Sample login info,
School: MackinVIA
Username: mackin
Password: mackindemo

This would be a great tool for sharing ideas as the students will be able to research primary documents and sources for their history projects, and they could use the cubing technique with these documents as part of a classroom debate on the sources that they will analyze. The main downside of this site is that only schools that already use Mackin eBooks will be able to use its great features. Also, students will likely need access to tablets in order to read the documents in class, though they will also be able to use logins from home to look over the materials. 


6 comments:

  1. I think this is a very interesting and useful tool for all the content areas. In science the use of past experiments and primary data is a must when trying to defend a hypothesis. MackinVIA is something I would not mind giving a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. After Social Studies, I immediately thought of science in particular as a content area that would get a lot of use out of MackinVIA's sources and data.

      Delete
  2. That does sound like a great tool for teachers to use in their classrooms! I could definitely find that useful in a foreign language classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! Would've definitely helped me in my years of Latin...

      Delete
  3. I like your idea of using this for the study of primary sources, something I think too many kids are unfamiliar with now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. Even as a history person, I didn't know much regarding primary sources until I started college.

      Delete